The Confederation of Africa Football’s president will ask for Togo’s suspension to be lifted. Togo’s were banned for the next two Africa Cup of Nations events after the January withdrawal.
The Togo Football Federation (TFF) was fined $50,000 and excluded from the 2010 and 2014 tournaments after pulling ahead of the start of the Angola edition in January due to a deadly gun attack on the team’s bus.
Togo appealed the Confederation of Africa Football’s (CAF) decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS), with FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who was brought in to mediate the hearing.
Issa Hayatou, president of (CAF) will ask the African ruling body’s executive committee to lift the ban at its next meeting on May 15.
As a part of the settlement, the TFF admitted that it had not complied with CAF competition regulations when it withdrew the team known as the Sparrow Hawks.
“I am very pleased that we have been able to find a solution which is satisfactory for both parties,” Blatter said in a statement on Friday.
“Today marks a victory for the whole football family, particularly African football. This shows that we can solve disputes within the football family for the benefit of all those who are involved in our game and in particular for the players”.
CAS, is an independent tribunal that deals with sports disputes was also relieved that it had been able to broker a deal.
“Considering the emotional circumstances surrounding this case, it was very important for the parties to find a reasonable solution in order to put an end to their dispute,”Secretary General Matthieu Reeb for CAS said.